Skip to main content

About WMU, the City of Kalamazoo, and Bassey Offiong

On Friday March 27th, 2020, Western Michigan University sent out an e-mail and updated their COVID-19 page to report that three students had confirmed cases of COVID-19 that were part of our campus community. In this update the first student they informed us of was last on campus March 10th, the University found out about their condition through a family member and informed us that the student had tested positive after their return to the east side of the state.

Today, on Sunday March 29th, 2020, at 12:45pm we started seeing reports that a WMU student had died of COVID-19. That student was Bassey Offiong, a senior chemical engineering student in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. As another student in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences I got an e-mail from our dean, he expressed his condolences, and shared with us the statements both from our university president Dr. Montgomery and the Kalamazoo County Health Department. To quote directly from the health department “We know this student was not a Kalamazoo County resident; however, this virus has no borders when it comes to who it affects and how it is spread.”

What the Health Department failed to mention in this is that Bassey Offiong had been trying to get tested for COVID-19 while still in the Kalamazoo area. Bassey’s sister Asari told The Detroit News that Bassey had been trying to get tested, and was turned down several times despite a fever, fatigue, and shortness of breath. He was told he had bronchitis. They did not test him in Kalamazoo. He was hospitalized in Royal Oak, Michigan after travelling back to the east side of the state, while infected with COVID-19. Bassey spent the last week in the ICU on a ventilator.

He did everything right, he stayed in his apartment, he tried to get help when he showed symptoms but was turned away in Kalamazoo. By the time WMU had been informed of his positive result for COVID-19 he was already on the ventilator in the ICU. The health department says he was not a Kalamazoo County resident, but that the virus has no borders. This, to me, seems like supportive words, like they’re trying to offer help to anyone who needs it, but he was turned away on multiple occasions for a test. He lived here, he had an apartment off campus, he spent his time at Western Michigan University, shopped at our stores, supported our community, and all we can focus on is if he was a resident or not? He was part of our community, just like every other student from Western Michigan University is a part of our Kalamazoo community, resident or not. According to his sister Bassey wanted to start his own organic makeup line, he thought big, Dr. Montgomery said he had enormous potential. I didn’t know him personally, but I do know he will be missed incredibly by those close to him that he was taken from too soon.

Next time you go out, think about today. Think about Bassey Offiong, who was denied testing in Kalamazoo then died from the virus after travelling to the east side of the state while infected just to be tested. Think about if that was your child, sibling, cousin, parent, whoever, because it could be. Wash your hands, stay inside, and stay safe. Insist the city of Kalamazoo do better, the state of Michigan, our Federal Government. Urge your friends to do better, remind them that this is for the best. Remember that even once the shelter in place order has been lifted this will not be over. This could go on for weeks, months, we don’t know, and it’s much better to be safe than sorry. Wash your hands, take care of yourselves, be safe.


You can read more information about Bassey Offiong here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Quarantine

My quarantine routine: wake up, take my morning meds, tell myself everything will be okay, make lunch, keep myself busy, get back in bed, take my night meds, sleep (or lay in bed for 8 hours with anxiety and insomnia), do it again. As a 20 year old college student with bipolar disorder, ADD, and anxiety being stuck inside is killing me. I'm no social butterfly anymore, I spend a lot of time in my apartment. I'm aware of this. Yet this quarantine, the fact that I can't leave right now is teaching me a lot about myself. Sure I love being here with my cat on most days, but I also have that to look forward to. When I go to class I know I get to come home and play my Nintendo Switch while hanging out with my cat, but now knowing that being home is all I have to do the idea fills me with dread. Getting out, even if it's once a day to just do something small, was more important to my mental health than I could have realized.  I'm worried to visit my parents right now,